|Position title: Animal Welfare Officer (AWO)
Company name: University of Bern
The University of Bern educates over 18’500 students and employs more than 7’300 people in around 150 institutes and nine competence centres, which are located over 90 different places. The Animal Welfare Office, as part of the vice rectorate research, ensures the quality of animal research and animal welfare.The Animal Welfare Office is looking for an experienced Animal Welfare Officer to join its team of AWOs and 3R deputy coordinator. The role of the AWO, among others, is to help researchers in planning and conducting
animal experimentation, to organize education courses for study directors, experimenters and animal caretakers, and to assist the University management in communication about animal experimentation and
animal welfare. The AWO is also the contact point for the cantonal authorities and is involved as a representative of the University of Bern in national and international expert committees.
The AWO deals with ethical and scientific questions concerning animal experimentation and animal protection and promotes in close collaboration with the 3Rs coordinator and deputy and the Experimental Animal Center
(EAC) the development and implementation of 3Rs-based protocols.
Your task will include in particular
– supporting researchers, animal care staff and University management in the areas of animal husbandry, animal experimentation and animal welfare.
– advising researchers on the preparation of animal applications for experimentation.
– reviewing animal experimentation applications for completeness and information for the evaluation of the indispensable extent (according to Art. 129a of the Ordinance on Animal Welfare).
– controlling experimental animal husbandries and animal experiments to check animal welfare, experimental procedures, compliance with legal or approved regulations and internal guidelines.
– participating in the education and training of researchers and animal care staff.
– University degree with doctorate in a veterinary medicine, medical or scientific field.
– At least 3-5 years of relevant professional or research experience; preferably in the field of laboratory animal science. Experience in experimental design or biostatistics and/or zebrafish is a plus.
– Excellent knowledge in the Swiss animal protection legislation.
– Excellent communication skills, diplomatic skills.
– Very good knowledge of German and English. Knowledge of written and spoken languages; good knowledge of French.
– Good computer skills with the usual Office applications.
– You are ready to keep and promote animal welfare and the quality of animal research with the colleagues of the Animal Welfare Office, the Experimental Animal Center, the researchers, those responsible for keeping and caring for laboratory animals and the university management.
– an interesting position in the field of biomedical research.
– Space to design and to bring in own ideas.
– attractive employment and working conditions.
For further information please contact Dr Isabelle Desbaillets, Head of the animal welfare office: Isabelle.firstname.lastname@example.org or 031 631 45 55.
Please send your application with the usual documents electronically until September 30th, 2020 to the email address above.
Company name: University of Bern
Name: Isabelle Desbaillets
Phone: 031 631 45 55
Email address: email@example.com