Position title: Laboratory animal caretaker
Company name: Universität Bern, Experimental Animal Center
City: 3008 Bern
In the breeding facility of the Experimental Animal Center (EAC) of the University of Bern, mainly rats and mice are bred at a high quality level for biomedical research. We work according to the 3R (Reduce, Refine, Replace) principle, the “Culture of Care” and in compliance with legal and ethical guidelines and regulations.
Currently we are in the process of building a new breeding facility and for the work in this new building we are looking for a
Laboratory animal caretaker
Activity level 100%
You will work in an agile team under the direction of a department head and take care for the laboratory animals in compliance with the legal requirements (animal welfare legislation) and the specified hygiene conditions. Your responsibilities will include the following activities:
- Provide expert animal care and monitor animal health within the IVC holding facility
- Breeding of experimental animals, also genetically modified lines / strains
- Maintenance of the hygiene status
- Recording animal data in the computer system
- Specific services (i.e. Collection of skin biopsies for genotyping)
- Cleaning of material, equipment and rooms according to the hygiene requirements
- Assistance in the operational maintenance of equipment as well as in the receipt of goods and stock keeping
- Animal care service in rotation on weekends and holidays
We are looking for a responsible, proactive and motivated individual who considers themselves a team player and has the following skills:
- Completed professional training as an EFZ animal keeper; specialization in laboratory animal care is an advantage but not a requirement
- Sense of responsibility towards the entrusted animals
- Reliability, quick comprehension, ability to work under pressure, as well as an accurate and efficient way of working.
- To be part in an agile managed team requires a communicative work style, flexibility and enjoyment of teamwork
- Knowledge in EDP (MS Word and MS Excel), Knowledge in the animal management program “PyRAT” is an advantage
- Very good knowledge of German, knowledge of English (level A2) is an advantage
- Advanced training in laboratory animal science desired
You will actively contribute to the “Culture of Care” and work on a project basis in a rotation model with different animal species.
- Independent, responsible and varied activity
- Regular working hours, no night shifts
- Possibility to learn new techniques
- Generous further- and advanced training offer
- Employment according to the personnel guidelines of the Canton of Bern
- Attractively located workplace in the center of Bern as well as a wide range of offers in university sports.
The employment is limited to 1 year with an option for extension in case of good work performance. For more information about the position, please direct your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your complete application with a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, training and work references, preferably electronically in a PDF file to: email@example.com.
Contact: Michèle Bürki or Sina Meyer / firstname.lastname@example.org
Original advertisement link: https://ohws.prospective.ch/public/v1/jobs/57644f79-ea63-476c-be3d-1e304b02d261