Evotec is a life science company with a unique business model focused on delivering highly effective new therapeutics to the patients. The Company leverages its multimodality platform, the “Data-driven R&D Autobahn to Cures”, for proprietary projects and within a network of partners including Pharma, Biotech, academics, and other healthcare stakeholders. With more than 4,000 highly qualified people at 14 sites, Evotec aims to create the world-leading co-owned pipeline for innovative therapeutics.
On our Toulouse site, we are seeking for a
Principal Scientist, Designated Veterinarian (F/M)
The main missions will allow a scientific and technical veterinary support to translational biology. It aims at providing state-of-the-art services, warantee to our clients the quality of our in vivo models and offer the best chances of succes towards the clinical application of the projects.
- Responsible for technical and professional oversight of all animal care and use functions involving laboratory animal at the site.
- Serve as the designated veterinarian at the site
- Responsible for maintaining the high quality of Animal care and Use programs to enable a state of the art preclinical research as part of Integrated Drug Discovery in respect of 3Rs ethics principle
- Responsible to manage veterinary matters with the competent Authorities (Agriculture Ministry, Higher Education nd Innovation Research Ministry, ANSM, ANSES) and be the main contact
- Responsible to lead inspection or audit of the Institution under the responsibility of the Institutional Official
- Responsible of the managment of medicine and narcotic drugs and psychotropics
- Serve as a member of the internal Ethics Comittee and the chairperson of the Animal Welfare Body.
- Serve as Designated Veterinarian at Evotec France SAS,
- Be responsible for maintaining animal welfare and veterinary care program in compliance with the requirements and the expectations of the local regulation (French, European) and AAALAC,
- Provide high quality animal and veterinary care across a variety of species,
- Provide training and support for those using animals in research procedures,
- Provide animal handling, veterinary and study design consultation for animal users. Regular meetings with research partner lines. Provide direct support to principal investigator in animal health evaluation and animal disease model development and surgical services.
- Actively involve with EHS matters related to biosecurity program and biological risks management (BSL3 facility, BSL2 animal model, LAA, etc..).
- Develop proposal for refining vivarium (refurbishment project) and collaborate with Facility management team,
- Actively involve in integrated drug discovery:
- Provide direct support to scientists or study director in protocol design, animal biology, welfare or regulation matters,
- Provide direct support to development and characterization of animal disease models in collaboration with principal scientists in oncology, inflammation and immune-oncology (syngenic or xenograft model, PDX,.. or humanized mice model)
- Responsible for controlled drug and medicine management
- Actively involve in surgical training and procedure. Provide oversight of the rodent surgery program,
- Perform veterinary review for animal use procedures or projects as part of Lab animal Ethics Committee; be active as a voting member of Ethics committee.
- Lead the Animal Welfare Body as chairperson and provide the oversight of the Animal Welfare program and Animal welfare refinement initiatives,
- Closely interact with a group of 11 people (manager and technicians) in charge of Animal Care and Welfare.
Assure the health and welfare of all research animals maintained within the facility, both personally, and through delegation to Animal Service & Welfare team,
- Ensure the performance of daily observation of animals (adverse clinical signs or events), clinical observation report, medical records keeping and assure prompt notification and resolution of condition of animals in pain or distress.,
- Propose improvement of the animal program and operational changes in order to improve the health and well-being of research animals and facilitate the study conduct.
Regularly inspect, evaluate and generate reports as part of semi-annual visits and post-approval monitoring
2. Knowledge and Skills:
- Skills in Lab animal Science and Medicine
- Skills in rodents breeding management, in regulation and Science and Medicine guidelines for laboratory animals
- Skills in Biosafety risks
- Experience in project management and study management
- Strong communication skills
- English : read / written / spoken
3. Experience and education:
- Veterinary specialized in Lab animal Science and Medicine
- FELASA C or D training in the use of lab animal in scientific purposes
- Wide experience in study conduct In vivo Pharmacology, PK or toxicology
- Wide experience in rodents colony management and animal models in Oncology, inflammation and immunology fields